AbeBooks bookseller members listing on our site set their own shipping rates and times. These rates will vary depending on the location of the bookseller in relation to the buyer, the method of shipping the bookseller uses and whether handling charges are included with the shipping rates.
To view a bookseller’s shipping rates select [Rates & Speeds] from the search results page. If you have specific questions about a book, please contact the bookseller directly.
To contact a bookseller:
1. Click on the [Ask Bookseller a Question] link in the search results
2. Enter your inquiry and click [Send Question]
You will be sent an email confirmation of your inquiry. AbeBooks will also retain a copy.
The bookseller will receive your question and reply to you via email.
To obtain additional information about a bookseller:
1. Click the [Bookseller & Payment Information] link in the search results
2. On the right of the screen you are also presented with links to:
• Search this specific seller’s inventory
• Browse the seller’s inventory
• Ask the bookseller a question
• View the Bookseller’s homepage
Some booksellers offer free shipping within the UK.
Visit our Free Shipping Room!
Extra Shipping Requests
Occasionally a bookseller may find that the shipping fee quoted on AbeBooks will not cover the costs of shipping your order to you. This may be for a number of reasons; the item may be heavy and cost more to ship, the seller may need to insure the book if it is expensive.
This is subject to your agreement, if the seller requests extra shipping we will notify you via email. You can accept or reject the extra shipping costs by clicking on the link in the email, alternatively you can accept/reject via your AbeBooks account. To do so:
1. [Sign On] to your AbeBooks.co.uk account
2. Click [View My Orders] under My Orders on your Members Menu
3. Follow the link [Click here to update the extra charges]
We will then let the bookseller know your decision. If you accept the charges the bookseller will process the order which will charge your credit card once for the full amount (amount you agreed to originally plus the charges). Then the seller will ship the book to you.
If you reject the extra shipping we let the bookseller know, they can either accept the order and make a loss on the postage or cancel the order. As soon as the seller updates the order we will again let you know via email.